Saturday, January 15, 2011

TOP 10 OF 2010

10. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Dir. Edgar Wright)

Not only did this film give me the most fun theater experience I had all year, but it does something new and unique with the comic book/graphic novel genre that blockbusters like Kick Ass and Iron Man 2 fail to do.


9. The Ghost Writer (Dir. Roman Polanski)

I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed a political thriller before this film. Though none of the performances really stand out, the story delivers on all accounts and the chilling conclusion still replays vividly in my mind.



8. Animal Kingdom (Dir. David Michod)

An Australian crime drama I wish I had been given the opportunity to see more than once before the year’s end, Animal Kingdom examines a dysfunctional family corroding under the weight of their wrongdoings. Jacki Weaver gives an outstanding performance as the family’s matriarch and sets the standard for the rest of the cast’s performances.


7. Exit Through the Gift Shop (Dir. Banksy)

This documentary took a subculture I had never given much thought to (street art) and turned it into something I found utterly compelling, which to me makes it this year’s most successful in its genre. Whether this documentary is “authentic” or not, Theirry Guetta stands out as one of the most fascinating and complex characters captured on camera in 2010.


6. Inception (Dir. Christopher Nolan)

This film was definitely the blockbuster to beat this year. While it is argued that the excessive exposition keeps it from reaching its full potential, the story’s intricately-woven structure as well as the visual feast that it provides makes it worthy of the acclaim it has received.



5. Dogtooth (Dir. Giorgos Lanthimos)

This Greek drama deals with a family whose parents keep their teenage children sheltered from the outside world and its influences. The behavior exhibited in this film almost made me feel like an observer at a zoo, but as someone who adores the disturbing and obscure, Dogtooth, in my eyes, is nearly flawless.


4. Black Swan (Dir. Darren Aronofsky)

Though I did not give in to its power quite as easily as many others did., Aronofsky’s dark take on the world of ballet sent shivers down my spine as I watched Nina Sayers unravel before my eyes. “Perfect. It was perfect.”



3. A Prophet (Dir. Jacques Audirard)

Hailed as the new The Godfather, this French epic is nothing short of a masterpiece. It is an engaging tale of a young man’s six year journey in prison working for the Corsican mafia that is driven by its beautiful cinematography, exceptional lead performances, and subtle nature.


2. Greenberg (Dir. Noah Baumbach)

This slice of life film in which “nothing happens” does absolutely everything for me. From its vivid color palate to its raw, unabashed characters, Greenberg is a realistic look at what it means to be only human.


1. The Social Network (Dir. David Fincher)

A predictable first choice, but one that was unquestionable in my mind. This age-old story of deceit and revenge is renewed and revamped by the brilliant minds of David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin. The film’s biting dialog and cultural relevance transfixed me from scene one and continues to transfix me more and more with each additional viewing.


Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):


Toy Story 3

The King’s Speech

Trash Humpers

The Kids are All Right

Mother

The White Ribbon

127 Hours

True Grit

1 comment:

  1. SOLID LIST. Glad to see Dogtooth on there. Saw it last week and it blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete